Nearest towns, services and sights
Mouth of the Lagoon
In our opinion a must is a visit to the mouth of the lake located directly across from the town of Praia do Bilene. This can be done by driving from the Village of Nhabanga back to Praia do Bilene (approximately 11km) and chartering a small boat/ferry across from the PetroMoc Service Station at a nominal fee. This guarantees your journey to and from the mouth.
Safe parking for your vehicle is available at the PetroMoc service Station. Should you have your own boat or Jet Ski it is advisable to navigate to Praia do Bilene and ask or wait for a boat to escort you through the correct channel in getting to the mouth safe. In order to stimulate the economy please tip the car guards. Please remember the sun protection, hats, chairs, umbrellas and coolers.
The Village is the hub of activity for the locals and visitors from the surrounding resorts. The following sights/services are available:
- There are two shops for the replenishment of very basic food stuffs.
- Fresh fish and prawns can be bought from local fishermen.
- Ice, refreshments, beer, wine and spirits available at Lourenço’s shop.
- A nice place for a relaxed rest, drink or sundowner is Lourenço’s Bar. The bar is famous for the popular R & R (Tipo Tinto Rum and local Raspberry cool drink). A TV with DSTV is available for the inevitable games or matches that cannot be missed.
The town of Macia is 35km inland from Praia do Bilene. The following additional services are available in Macia:
- Rudimentary hospital services.
- Access to mechanics and auto electricians.
- Wholesalers for the replenishment of all common food stuffs.
- Regular sliced white/brown bread.
The town of Songoene is 25km along the ocean from the Village of Nhabanga.
- An old but working Lighthouse is a sight to behold. The Lighthouse is still operational and located on a hill overlooking the town of Songoene.
- This is also the town where the Limpopo River runs into the ocean. The view of this river is breath taking from the Lighthouse.
Praia do Bilene
The nearest town to the Nhabanga Village is the picturesque town of Praia do Bilene, favoured holiday destination for patrons from all over Mozambique and indeed the world. The town is approximately 11km from the Village of Nhabanga. The following services/sights are available in Praia do Bilene:
- Market area for the replenishment of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Limited replenishment of basic food stuffs at the market or shops.
- Buying of fresh traditional bread (poa).
- Buying of fresh fish, crab, prawns and other seafood delicacies.
- Market area for the inevitable shopping of local art and artefacts.
- Access to commercial banks and ATMs should you run out of money.
- Access to service stations for the refilling of fuel and basic tyre repairs. Note there is NO low sulphur Diesel available as yet in Mozambique. Confirm with your car manufacturer if your motor vehicle is compatible with this.
- There is a variety of unique and indigenous Restaurants/Bars to cater to most of your culinary and or alcoholic requirements.
- An airstrip 1km out of the town. This is in good working order, although not manned full-time. Clearing customs in Maputo prior to flight to Praia do Bilene, is necessary.